Thursday, May 16, 2013

I'm Such a TEACHER...

I just had to post this because last night made my heart happy.  I was reading with my daughter who is in JK last night and she has just started bringing home guided reading books to read with us at night. As many of you know I spent ten years in the primary grades before switching to grade six and seven last year.

I have really missed teaching reading to my little kiddos but have enjoyed my time in a new grade as well! Well, last night I grabbed a book from my daughters bag and guess what -I got to teach her some reading strategies that I used to teach my kiddos in grades one and two! Then, today, I spent time putting the high frequency words that she struggled with into a bingo game that we can play this weekend!  As I was making the game and thinking about the reading last night, I realized that this is allowing me to have the best of both worlds (teaching reading while still discovering a new age group).  The cool part is now I get to see my own child's growth and that's a teacher moment and a proud mamma moment all rolled into one! It's almost like the switch happened at the perfect time and I didn't have to give up my love of teaching reading because my daughter needs me as her teacher right now :)

So, with that being said, the other exciting thing is that this will be the first weekend spent in our NEW trailer!  We found that with two young children, we needed more space so this weekend will be our first sleep in the new trailer and I can't wait. I know what you are thinking (LOL) a trailer park with "trailer folk" but it's not like that, if anything it is a great group of people and a place to get away from all of the"I shoulds" we thinking about on a long weekend when we are at home!


Happy May Long Weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Hahaaha yep- such a teacher! Don't worry so am I- A good friend from school asked me the other day if I'd mind teaching him how to work with fractions because he'd never understood it at school- I jumped at the chance... went around for dinner and then spent hours doing fractions hahaha!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story about you and your daughter! Brought a smile to my face, and that's not easy to do so early in the morning. Happy weekend!

    Angela
    The Teacher's Desk 6

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK so I'm a little late to this one.. I love how you are enjoying teaching your daughter. I also went through the EXACT same thing.. finally got up to the middle grades and my little ones are needing help with their own classwork. That being said, I'm NOT sad about no longer teaching first grade! Ha! I love where I am.
    We also have an RV and camp as often as we can. I totally agree that going camping is the best way to stop worrying about all of those I SHOULDS. When we're at the campground, we just sit outside with the kids while they play or take them to the pool or playground. We've always got time for what they want to do! No lesson plans, dishes, laundry await. Just fun! Hopefully, we're going to our favorite spot next weekend!
    :)
    Erin
    I'm Lovin Lit

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed helping my own girls at home with their work and they looked to me for help since they felt I really knew what I was talking about and what their teachers wanted. My oldest will be in Grade 7 next year and I am worried that I will have to re-learn the math to help her!!
    We don't have a camper but we do enjoy a bare bones family cottage - no cell phone reception means really leaving it all behind!

    ReplyDelete